CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Race for the Cure, spray tans, and learning curves


I've never run a race before. Aside from in elementary school, that is, and racing in elementary school didn't make me want to continue racing or even running. I still remember the way I felt as other kids whizzed past me, lapped me, and I usually finished among the last. So it goes without saying that for many reasons, training for a half marathon isn't a small thing for me. I'm grown up now (sort of) and I'm not worried about keeping up with anyone, impressing others, or what place I come in. My goal is to be healthy, run the race, do my best, and hopefully want to do it again.
Before I run the big 13.1 miler, my training schedule dictates running a 5K and a 10K. So I was thrilled when my sister, Victoria (a two time breast cancer survivor), asked me to run the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It was an honor to run for her, a sister who is alive today by nothing short of a miracle.
The day before the race we went in for spray tans and talked about what to wear to the race. I know, we are ridiculously girly. Turns out the spray tan was a learning experience too. Apparently if you tan easy, you also spray tan easy. So when I left the tanning salon I looked like I'd been laying on a tropical beach for roughly twelve weeks. But that's another story.
This race, be it only a 5K, was still quite an experience for me. It was my first race AND it was for a cause that is very near and dear to me. I knew it would be emotional but didn't expect such overwhelming emotions. Seeing all the survivors release their pink balloons into the sky, thinking about my sister, my step mom, my friends who have endured battles with breast cancer. I bit my lip, tried to stretch a little, and worried that if I cried my spray tan might streak.

"Runner's Ready....Set.......GO!!!!"
I start to panic. Um, why aren't we moving? I ask the woman in front of me if I am in the walking section. Nope. And we're still standing still. The clock is ticking and I'm wondering when we can start running. It turns out a lot of walkers started in the running section. So in an attempt to improvise, I look for the passing lane. Isn't there an etiquette, like with driving? Apparently not. Walkers are proudly walking four team members wide in the "left lane" Hmmmm. Finally, I ditch my manners and start running. Lots of ducking and weaving through the walking crowds.
After passing through the walkers, I was feeling great, running along to my favorite tunes. I was even passing some people! Wow!!! Then, it hit me. Oh @#$%, I have to PEE!!! I wanted to make sure I was hydrated, so I drank a lot before the race. Turns out that was a bad idea. I realize there are no honey buckets along the route, and since I don't know anyone that lives in Browns Addition I am screwed. So my only option is to hold it. And I held it...as well as a woman who has had three children and is running three miles with a full bladder can hold it. Thank the Lord for dri fit material. And that's all I'm going to say about that.
Other than that, the race was pretty easy. It was great to be among 7,200 people supporting an amazing cause. I thought of my sister, my stepmom, and my friends who have courageously fought battles with breast cancer. Warriors in pink. I loved being there and will plan on making it an annual event. Except next time I won't drink as much water beforehand.
Now I can check the 5K off my list... Bloomsday will be my next race and I'm pretty sure it will be a blog worthy event. Especially since I've never even gone to Bloomsday as a spectator.

6 comments:

colleen said...

Good for you girl! Very funny post... I know just what you mean about the...uh....dri fit pants. Birthing 3 children can make for an interesting running experience!
c
ps. did the tan streak?

Anonymous said...

babe--I am so proud of you. you inspire me to at least "like" the idea of running again--your hubby

blended by grace said...

It didn't streak, Colleen! I don't know what that stuff is they sprayed on me...paint? Anyway, I'm still evenly and artificially bronzed :)

Unknown said...

Awesome job on the race!! Two unsolicited pieces of advice.... when you get to the packet pick up, change your time stall. Move up one or two places faster. They usually stagger start stalls based on your projected finish time. If you think you will finish in 2:20 get moved to the 2:00 finish stall. That was the advice I got from my Team in Training mentor. The other piece I got from a seasoned triathlete on the bus ride to my marathon. Pee as soon as you get to the race and then get in line to pee again. I thought he was crazy, but followed his advice.... I was in line the second time so long I was getting out of the port o let as my stall was starting. You are a fantastic inspiration to lots of people. Keep running, just keep running.

Danna and Kevin said...

So cool! I'm glad that you had a good run and also that it was an inspirational experience too. I love your posts, they always make me laugh. I can totally relate to your experience of being left in other kids dust...I can assure you that I would never have past or lapped you! I've been running too, I've got the 1/2 marathon next January. Although, my level of serious-ness needs to increase!!!

Kayla Jode said...

Okay, we totally need to do that
5K together next year!! We know a lot of people who have had cancer so it would be a great time to support our family and friends with those encounters! Ahem, intersting sentence about needing to take a bathroom break during the race...hehe love you!!